Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Monte Schiavo “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Riserva DOC (2007)

Once a small co-operative winery, for the last twenty years or so (since the Pieralisi family acquired it) Monte Schiavo has become known as one of the finest producers in the region of Marche. With 115 hectares of estate vineyards, the Monte Schiavo range focuses on the best known white grape of the region – Verdicchio – and half a dozen different expressions of this grape are produced. This “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi is the flagship of that range and indeed of the entire Monte Schiavo winery’s production.

A single vineyard wine, made only from Verdicchio grapes harvested from the Monte Schiavo winery’s “Tassanare Vecchio” vineyard at 350 metres above sea level, this 2007 “Le Giuncare” is a marker for the winery’s constant drive for innovation and higher quality. Unusually 25% of this 2007 “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio is matured in oak (and the other 75% in stainless steel tanks), prior to a period of further maturation in bottle.

Despite the increasing age of this 2007 Monte Schiavo “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio, it is the current vintage of this wine available on the UK market.

A lemon colour of moderate intensity in the glass, this 2007 “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio has clearly developed a richer colour with both periods of maturation in oak and bottle. The alcoholic content is declared at13.5% abv (towards the upper end of what you’d expect to see in the Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi zone of production) and visible alcoholic legs are the result when this wine is swirled.

Aromatically notably complex, this 2007 Monte Schiavo “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio shows remarkably fresh fruit aromas of lemon and white peach, alongside more developmental tones of kernel and candied ginger. Despite the intensity of aromas on display, there is a subtlety and balance to this 2007 “Le Giuncare” that is quite exemplary.

Smooth, soft and incredibly persistent in the mouth, this 2007 Monte Schiavo “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio offers a near perfect balance of pure fruit, oak and developmental characters at this time. Initially showing the pure peach and lemon flavours from the nose, this 2007 “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio develops to show savoury macadamia nut and kernel notes as the palate evolves. The merest hint of ginger and a gentle minerality shape the finish.

Verdicchio is a grape variety that can offer incredible aging potential and this 2007 Monte Schiavo “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio may endure another five years of cellaring yet. Alternatively this wine is drinking so well now that you may find it hard to resist!

Monte Schiavo “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico Riserva DOC (2007)

Score: 91/100 – Some wines simply exude class and sophistication, this 2007 Monte Schiavo “Le Guincare” Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi is one of them.

Value for Money: 8/10Available from £14 per bottle in the UK, this 2007 Monte Schiavo “Le Giuncare” Verdicchio is a genuinely fine wine available at a price that is accessible to many more customers than the majority of fine wines. Excellent value.